Frequently Asked Questions


What are the benefits of attending LACC Cinema-Television?

LACC has an internationally recognized reputation as a  comprehensive world-class training program.  With the low enrollment fee, you can use your money for your film and television projects instead of costly tuition. . You will have completed projects that you can show potential employers.

What is the advantage of going to film school in Los Angeles?

This is where there's the most film and television activity. The majority of U.S. film and television production is done in Southern California. You will have more opportunities for internships, networking, and contact with the industry than you will have anywhere else.   We offer a two-year A.A. and/or two year certificate program for each discipline. Many students get both the A.A. degree and the certificate. We offer shorter specialized Skills Certificates as well. 

Does Los Angeles City College offer post-graduate degrees?

The A.A. degree we offer is equivalent to the first two years of a four-year college. But LACC differs from most four year schools because we offer hands-on production classes immediately. Most four year schools don't start hands-on production until the third (Junior) year. Los Angeles City College does not offer a post-graduate degree such as a Ph.D., M.A. or M.F.A.  For these degrees, you should contact USC, UCLA or other universities that might offer them.


Can I just take just one class if I'm not interested in the entire program?

Yes, you can take just one class if you wish. However, you must meet the prerequisite requirements for the particular class that you plan to take. You need not continue in the program after that class is completed. You may waive the pre-requisite requirment if you have taken an equivalent course elsewhere. You can get the challenge forms HERE .

What is the difference between the Certificate and the A.A. Degree?

You earn the Cinema Certificate, for example, with the completion of 33 units or eleven courses (ten Cinema and one Law). The A.A. degree is earned with the completion of 60 units (approximately 20 courses) which include not only Cinema, but general education classes as well. Plan B, the most common route used to get an A.A. degree in Cinema or Television, students take 36 units of Cinema or Cinema/Television as well as 24 units of other required courses. Both the A.A. degree and the Cinema, Television or Film-Video Certificates are California State recognized and will appear on your transcript. See the LACC College Catalog for further information.

What are Skills Certificates?

If you are specializing in a particular area you may want to consider our short-term Skills Certificates. These Skill Certificates generally take one to three semesters, depending upon the particular skill. You will receive an official certificate upon completion but it will not be listed in your transcript. Please see the Certificates and Skills Certificates page for further information.

Can I earn more than one of certificate?

Yes. As long as you take the required classes, you are elligible for any the certificates we offer.

Can I take classes in the Cinema-Television program if I already have a college degree?

Yes. Having a college degree does not prevent you from taking classes in Cinema-Television. In fact, many of our students have degrees but want to study a new field or brush up on their skills. Many students with film degrees from other institutions take hands-on production classes with us that were unavailable to them at their previous school. You do not need a college degree to earn a certificate

Should I work towards a certificate or the A.A. degree?

If you do not have a college degree, we always recommend the A.A. Statistics show that on the average, A.A. degree holders earn 180% more money than high school graduates. If you already have an A.A. or B.A. degree, a certificate may be sufficient.

How many classes should I take per semester?

How many classes should I take per semester? If you are a full-time student, we suggest four classes with a total of 12 units although you are allowed to take up to 18 units. According the catalog, a 15 unit load is equal to at least a 50-hour work week. If you are a part-time student, we strongly suggest that you consider your available time before you attempt a full load. The college officially advises that you take no more than two classes per semester if you have a full-time job although we find many students take full loads along with full-time jobs.  It's totally up to you. . A "full-time student" is defined as a student who is enrolled in 12 or more grade units. Los Angeles City College defines a "part-time student" as one who is enrolled in six to eleven units.

Can I start attending in the Winter, Spring, Summer, as well as the Fall?

Yes, you can begin your classes in the Cinema-TV Department at any of these times . The beginning courses are offered both day and night during the Fall and Spring. Nearly every class we have is offered both during the Fall and Spring semesters. Many courses, however, are offered only during the evening in the Spring and day in the Fall (or visa versa). Summer and Winter 5-week course offerings vary but are always offered only in the day and are very limted. See the class schedules for details.

Can I waive classes if I took similar courses at another institution?

Yes, you may be able to do so. Certain prerequisites may be waived, especially the first semester classes, if you have taken equivalent film classes at other schools, or in certain cases, equivalent experience in the industry. A Pre/Co-requisite Challenge Petition form is available from the Student Assistance Center, the Cinema-Television Department Chair's Office or online. Simply follow the instructions on the form and return it to the Department Chair with the requested documentation. A faculty committee will examine your petition and make a determination based on the substantiating material you send. You will be notified by email. .

Can I take both Cinema and Television classes?

Yes, and we suggest you do. Learning skills in both fields makes you more versatile. We have a Cinema-Video Production Certificate and a Beginning Cinema and Televison Production Skills  Certificates  for that purpose.

Do your students transfer to four-year schools?

Yes, many do. Usually, they transfer to UCLA , CSUN, CSULA, USC, AFI or others the area.  While many film programs are excellent, you should always research them carefully before considering a transfer. Hands-on production training at some institutions is very limited. At others, the training may be very similar to the LACC program. Private colleges and training programs are generally very costly.  Avoid any school that guarantees job placement or high-paid employment when you graduate.   For more information about transferring, go to the LACC Transfer Center

Can I transfer LACC Cinema-Television credits to a four-year film or television school?

While the credits will transfer, almost all four-year schools require that you start again with the beginning film or television classes, although a few courses may be accepted from LACC. Four-year schools generally don't offer any film production classes until the junior (third) year.

Can I get a job in the media industry after completing the LACC film or television program?

Yes, and many do very well although it's a tough business. But success depends upon your personal abilities, training, talent, work ethic, personality and passion. Some students start their own businesses and others work for established companies. Most often students from film and television schools begin their careers with entry level jobs, but their student experience is a vital factor that employers consider. If the employee does well in the new job, there's an excellent chance for advancement. When looking for a training school, always avoid any school that guarantees job placement or well-paid employment when you graduate.

Are there opportunities for internships?

Yes, we have a very active Cooperative Education program where you canl receive credit by working in the industry along with attending LACC Cinema-TV classes. We constantly receive requests for interns...many more than we can fill. We send out email blasts each week to our students about internship and job possibilities.  Some internships develop into paying jobs.  Cooperative Education Work Experience rules and regulations states:  Cooperative Education students must be enrolled in a, minimum of 7 units (including Coop Ed units) must be completed at LACC by the end of the semester. For more information for getting internship credit at LACC please contact Juliana Medina at Also, take a look at the  website.

Cinema & Television