WHAT IS PSI BETA?
Psi Beta is the national honor society in psychology for community and junior colleges. It is the first two-year college honor society approved for membership in the Association of College Honor Societies, which regulates membership requirements. Psi Beta was founded for the purpose
of stimulating, encouraging, and recognizing students' outstanding scholarship and interest in psychology.
The society functions as a federation of chapters located at 125 accredited two-year colleges. Psychology students become members by invitation of the chapters at their colleges. The chapters are operated by the Psi Beta student members and faculty sponsors. A National Council composed of Psi Beta sponsors guides the affairs of the organization and determines policy. The national office in Chattanooga coordinates and records activities and maintains membership files. Psi Beta participates with Psi Chi, the national honor society in psychology for senior colleges and universities, at APA, APS, and regional conventions.
WHAT ARE THE MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS?
Membership is obtained through a local Psi Beta chapter and is open to students who
1. are enrolled at an accredited two-year college with a Psi Beta chapter
2. rank in the top 35% or have an overall GPA of 3.0 (in a 4.0 system), whichever is higher, and have at least a "B" average in psychology (your chapter may set higher standards)
3. have completed at least two quarters or one semester of a psychology or psychology-based course and 12 semester hours or the equivalent quarter hours total college credit
4. have demonstrated a genuine interest in psychology and high standards of personal behavior and integrity
5. have been approved by the chapter
6. have signed a completed membership registration card accepting Psi Beta's bylaws and policies
7. have paid the once-in-a-lifetime national registration fee of $50
[The faculty sponsor submits the registration card and fee to the national office. The Psi Beta inductee receives a membership certificate and card from the national office during the chapter induction ceremony. New members' names are published in the next Psi Beta Newsletter.]
For Additional Information or to apply for membership in PSI BETA
please contact your faculty sponsor:
Dr. Jeffrey Blum