THE PURPOSE AND ACTIVITIES OF ALPHA MU GAMMA
Alpha Mu Gamma has as its primary purpose the honoring of students for outstanding achievement during their first year of foreign language study in college. However, students may be admitted at any stage in their college careers. Upon initiation a member receives a parchment certificate of membership and may wear the scroll-shaped gold key or pin.
Activities of the Society are: 1) the publication of the quarterly Newsletter; 2) biennial national conventions; 3) regional conferences at which students are able to meet others who share their interest in foreign languages; 4) chapter meetings and special chapter activities of every sort; 5) the sponsorship of National Foreign Language Week; 6) distribution of its posters each year in celebration of the Week; and 7) the annual awarding of five scholarships.
Alpha Mu Gamma is organized by regions and each campus can have a local chapter. To apply for a charter to establish a chapter costs only $100. Individual student life membership national dues are $25 and initiate receives an attractive certificate proclaiming his/her excellence in a specific foreign language.
Having a local chapter allows its institution to recognize the efforts of its foreign language students who would be honored in their field. There are no minimal requirements the number of students to establish and run a chapter.
On the national level, Alpha Mu Gamma sponsors "National Foreign Language Week" the first full week of March of every year. A poster celebrating this event is published every year and can be ordered from the National Office. This Week has been endorsed by each President of the United States since its declaration by President Eisenhower in 1957.
The Society offers annually, on a competitive basis, to all students members of Alpha Mu Gamma who are planning continuing study of a foreign language the following scholarships:
1. Three Goddard, Indovina & Krakowski Scholarships ($1000) for any foreign language study.
2. One Laval University Summer Tuition Scholarship plus AMG stipend ($400) for one month (July-August) of intensive French study in Quebec Canada.
3. One James Fonseca Scholarship ($400) for the study of Esperanto or Spanish.
- If you, a faculty member of a foreign language/humanities department, are interested in establishing a chapter at your institution, see Establishing Chapter and Forms pages.
- If you, a faculty member or a student of foreign language, are interested in the requirements to become a Member of Alpha Mu Gamma, see Membership and Forms pages.
- If you are interested in Alpha Mu Gamma scholarships, see Scholarships page.
- If you are interested in the National Foreign Language Week Poster, see National Foreign Language Week, and Accessories and More pages.
Alpha Mu Gamma National Office
Los Angeles City College
855 N. Vermont Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90029
Phone & Fax: (323) 644-9752