The mission of the LACC STEM Academy is to support students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution and major in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math (STEM) field. The STEM academy offers a structured program of support services and activities aimed at promoting the development of academic mastery and providing opportunities for enhancing career success. The LACC STEM Academy is grateful to the JPMorgan Chase Foundation for funding.
Benefits of Membership
- Access to a STEM Academic Counselor. No waiting in line, fast track appointments to develop education plans.
- Access to the STEM Academy Student Center study space with free tutoring available in math (260 and beyond), chemistry, physics, and biology.
- Access to books, calculators, computers, and other learning materials.
- Access to faculty and alumni mentors.
- Information on STEM student clubs, events, and activities.
- Access to the Engineering Fabrication Lab; a supervised workshop with computer-controlled tools.
- Access to college application and personal statement writing workshops.
- Enrichment workshops in essential technical skills.
- Internships and undergraduate research opportunities with financial assistance for qualifying participants.
- Networking opportunities.
Attending at least three workshops each semester is required for membership in the STEM Academy! These workshops will give you to opportunity to pick up new skills that will be useful for your studies and future career. Many workshops will be on Fridays 2-4pm, with some additional workshops on other days. Please view our workshop schedule.
The Student Center in FH-304 is a place where STEM Academy students can go to study and get help with their math and science classes.
STEM Academy Director:
Jocelyn Graf, email@example.com, FH-306. 323-953-4000 ext. 2806 On campus Tues/Wed/Thurs afternoons and all day Fri. Please email for an appointment.
STEM Academy Program Coordinator:
Chanda ShuklaDeo, firstname.lastname@example.org, FH-306. 323-953-4000 ext. 2806, Monday to Friday, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
STEM Academic Counselor:
Ed Bird Song:email@example.com, 323-953-4000 ext. 1256. Hours: Tues. 9:30am to 12:30pm, FH-306
STEM Academy Student Center:
FH-304, hours: 10am to 6:00pm MTuWTh (additional hours will be posted). Phone: 323.953.4000 ext. 2805
Engineering Fabrication Lab:
SCI-206, hours: 10am to 2pm TTh. Saturday hours by arrangement with Eddie Pineda, firstname.lastname@example.org