The mission of the LACC STEM Academy is to support students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution and major in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math (STEM) field. The STEM academy offers a structured program of support services and activities aimed at promoting the development of academic mastery and providing opportunities for enhancing career success.
Benefits of Membership
- Access to a STEM Academic Counselor. No waiting in line, fast track appointments to develop education plans.
- Access to the STEM Academy Student Center study space with free tutoring available in math, chemistry, physics, and biology.
- Access to books, calculators, computers, and other learning materials.
- Access to faculty and alumni mentors.
- Information on STEM student clubs, events, and activities.
- Access to the Engineering Fabrication Lab; a supervised workshop with computer-controlled tools.
- Access to college application and personal statement writing workshops.
- Enrichment workshops in essential technical skills.
- Internships and undergraduate research opportunities with financial assistance for qualifying participants.
- Networking opportunities.
We are currently changing our application process to adjust to the requirements of our new budget. In the meantime, we are accepting applications for the Spring 2015 semester using the Fall 2014 application form. See the complete application process, forms and orientation dates here.
Attending at least three workshops each semester is required for membership in the STEM Academy! These workshops will give you to opportunity to pick up new skills that will be useful for your studies and future career. Many workshops will be on Fridays 2-4pm, with some additional workshops on other days. Please view our workshop schedule.
The Student Center in FH-304 is a place where STEM Academy students can go to study and get help with their math and science classes. It is open Monday through Thursday, 10:00 - 7:00.
STEM Academy Director:
STEM Academy Program Coordinator:
STEM Academic Counselor:
Ed Bird Song:email@example.com, 323-953-4000 ext. 1256. Hours: TBD
STEM Academy Student Center:
FH-304. Hours: 10am to 7:00pm MTuWTh. Email: wohlerc@lacitycollege. Phone: 323.953.4000 ext. 2805
Engineering Fabrication Lab:
SCI-206, hours: TBD. Saturday hours by arrangement with Eddie Pineda, firstname.lastname@example.org