This page is provided by the IT
department to answer some common questions.
For further technical information, call the IT Help Desk at extension 2049.
If you need training on using any of the LACC systems, contact the
and Organizational Development office at extension 2887.
Forward an Outlook Contact
If you have a contact stored in Outlook that you would like to send to other people:
When the recipient receives the contact, all they have to do is to drag the attachment onto either the Contacts icon in the Outlook Shortcuts bar or into the Contacts folder in the folder list; it will be added automatically to their contacts list.
- Go to your Contacts folder.
- Right-click on the contact you want to send, and then click Forward.
- A new e-mail message will be created with that contact included as an attachment.
- Enter the e-mail address(es) of the people you want to forward it to and click Send.
Recall a Sent Email
You can recall the message if the recipient uses Outlook and the message has not been read. To recall a message after you've sent it:
- Open your Sent Items folder.
- Open the message (double-click on the message) you want to recall.
- On the Actions menu, click Recall This Message.
- To recall the message, click Delete unread copies of this message. To replace the message with another one, click Delete unread copies and replace with a new message, click OK, and then type a new message.
- To be notified about the success of the recall or replacement for each recipient, select the Tell me if recall succeeds or fails for each recipient check box.
- Click OK.
Requesting a Read Receipt
With the Read Receipt feature in Outlook, you can track if and when someone reads an e-mail message you've sent. Here's how:
When the recipient opens or deletes the e-mail message, Outlook automatically sends a message back notifying you what happened. If your recipient's e-mail server does not support this feature, you will not receive any receipt.
- Before you send your message, on the View menu, click Options.
- Select the Request a read receipt for this message check box and click Close.
Adding a recipient to Your Contacts
If you receive an e-mail message and you want to add one of the recipients or the sender to your Outlook contact list, do the following:
- Open the e-mail message that contains the name you want to add to your contact list.
- In the From or To box, right-click the name you want to make into a contact, and then click Add to Contacts.
- This creates a new contact with that person's name and e-mail address already filled in. You can also fill in any additional information, such as a phone or fax number, and then save it.
Stopping Outlook from Using Reading Layout
Outlook 2003 opens Word attachments in Word's Reading layout instead of default view. To prevent Word from opening document in Reading layout do the following:
- Open Word, go to Tools menu, select Options and click on the General tab.
- Unclick "Allow starting in Reading layout" and click OK.
Recovering Deleted Emails After the Deleted Items Folder was Emptied
- Open the Deleted Items folder.
- On the Tools menu, select Recover Deleted Items. The "Recover Deleted Items From" window will open.
- Select the emails you want to recover and click the "Recover Selected Items" () icon.