Skip to Main Content

Transfer Center

Transfer Requirements for Private and Out-of-State

Private, Independent and Out-of-State Colleges and Universities

There are over 100 private and independent colleges and universities in the state of California alone. Preparing to transfer to an independent or out-of-state college or university requires careful planning and course selection. Many private and independent colleges accept lower-division transfer students, enabling students to transfer with less than 60 transferable units completed.

Students should thoroughly research universities and meet with a counselor to review transfer requirements. Links to transfer information for several private and out-of-state institutions are provided below.

General Education Requirements

Students transferring to independent or out-of-state institutions should refer to the school’s website or catalog and meet with a counselor to determine appropriate general education requirements.

Although CSU GE-Breadth and IGETC patterns are agreements specific to CSU and UC campuses, some independent higher education institutions in California and elsewhere may accept completed CSU GE-Breadth or IGETC Patterns to meet some or all GE coursework.

Transfer Information Links

Biola University

Chapman University

Loyola Marymount University (LMU) 

Mount Saint Mary's University

Occidental College  

Pepperdine University

Pitzer College

Pomona College

Whittier College

Out-of-State Colleges/Universities

Arizona State University

Grand Canyon University

Oregon State University

Portland State University

University of Washington

Western Oregon University

The Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities (AICCU)

The Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities (AICCU) represents nearly 80 California private nonprofit colleges and universities. Member institutions range from large to small traditional liberal arts institutions, as well as colleges offering faith-based, performing and visual arts, and “non-traditional” programs of study.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program offers a reduced tuition rate to California students who select to enroll in schools in the Western States. Tuition is less than paying as a non-resident.


 Contact Us

Student Services Building, 2nd Floor
(323) 953-4000 ext. 2215

855 N. Vermont Avenue
Los Angeles, California 90029

Jesus Gomez
Transfer Director

 Office Hours

Fall 2019 (Effective Sept. 3 - subject to change)

Monday: 9:00am - 3:00pm 
Tuesday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
Wednesday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
Thursday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
Friday: 9:00am-2:00pm

 Important Reminders

Fall 2019 Transfer Students: Don't forget to send your official transcripts from all colleges you've attended to the college or university you intend to transfer to. Deadlines vary by campus. 


 Download the GradGuru App!

GradGuru is a free app customized by Los Angeles City College that helps you stay on track by sending you tips and alerts on college deadlines!

Los Angeles City College | 855 N. Vermont Avenue, Los Angeles California 90029


Phone: 323.953.4000


Emergency: 323.953.2911