Skip to Main Content
doc logo header

LACC Dream Resource Center

Legal Considerations

All immigrants regardless of immigration status are able to earn a living as an independent contractor or business owner 

As mandated by IRCA (federal law), an individual or entity (client) is NOT required to obtain Form I-9, or otherwise inquire about immigration status from independent contractors 

Independent Contractors must fill out a W-9 with a SSN or ITIN to commence work 

An independent contractor must pay self-employment tax and income tax. An independent contractor may use an ITIN, or EIN to file and pay taxes instead of a SSN. 

If using DACA SSN for Independent Contracting and your SSN expires, you cannot continue contracting with the same payer. 

Disclaimer: This page contains general information. Please do additional research and consult with a professional for additional information and questions.