Skip to Main Content

Veterans Resource Center

How to Certify for GI Bill Benefits

To Use GI Bill® Education Benefits:

  1. Submit admissions application to LACC. Determine your eligibility for GI Bill® and apply for education benefits at . You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility letter (COE) if you have been determined eligible to use education benefits.
  2. Submit to VA (mail or online) Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) if you are a transfer student.
  3. Meet with a Veterans Resource Center (VRC) Counselor to complete a Comprehensive Student Education Plan. The Veterans Administration will not pay for courses that are not included in a veteran’s or dependent’s education plan.
  4. Enroll into courses as indicated on education plan.
  5. Submit the following forms to the Veterans Resource Center:
  6. IMPORTANT: Veterans and dependents must submit a certification request form for EVERY semester they wish to use GI Bill® Benefits. Adds and drops for veterans and dependents must be reported to the LACC Veterans Resource Center as soon as possible. Failing to do so may result in an overpayment or underpayment.


  • Click here to read VA news release
  • Per the VA, if a class has been converted from in-person to online as a direct result of COVID-19, then it will be certified as on-campus (resident) units.
  • For our course catalog, you tell which courses have undergone a conversion by looking at the listed class times:
    1. Courses listed with with specific meeting schedules (example: Tues/Thurs 2pm-4pm) were converted to online and so will be certified as RESIDENT units.
    2. Courses listed with self-paced hours (example: 10hrs/week TBA) were already intended to be online and so will be certified as DISTANCE units.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
For more information see the GI Bill Trademark terms of use.