The ESL Lab
The ESL Lab provides assistance for all students enrolled in ESL classes. The ESL Lab, located in Jefferson Hall 318, offers both in-person and online services.
What you can do at the ESL Lab:
- Meet with a tutor (online or in person)
- Submit assignments and get feedback from tutors
- Attend workshops
- Practice grammar and writing skills with the Achieve online program
- Check out a book from the ESL Lab Reader Library
- Use computer stations to complete assignments
Visit the ESL Lab on Penji
To visit the ESL Lab online, you will need to register and drop in for tutoring on Penji.
How to get started with Penji:
- Visit web.penjiapp.com or click on “LACC Penji Tutoring” in Canvas and log in using your student email or SSO.
- Click “Get Started” and then select “Learn”
- Select "Los Angeles City College" and then select "LACC | ESL Lab"
Visit our Penji info page for instructions and videos to help you get started with Penji.
Workshops are held on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 1 p.m. in person in JH 318 and on Zoom. You can reserve a spot in the workshop on Penji or click the Zoom link below.
Tuesday, 1:00-2:00PM: https://laccd.zoom.us/j/97934222316
Wednesday, 1:00-2:00PM: https://laccd.zoom.us/j/81317244968
- Tues. 4/11, Grammar: Fragments, Run-ons, and Comma Splices
- Wed. 4/12, Grammar: Avoiding Verb Form Errors
- Tues. 4/18, Reading: Vocabulary Building
- Wed. 4/19, Grammar: Modal Verbs
- Tues. 4/25, Grammar: Adjective Clauses
- Wed. 4/26, Grammar: Coordinating and Paired Conjunctions
- Tues. 5/2, Writing: Essay Organization and Outlining
- Wed. 5/3, Writing: MLA Documentation
- Tues. 5/9, Writing: Thesis Statements
- Wed. 5/10, Writing: Topic Sentences and Paragraph Structure
- Tues. 5/16, Grammar: Avoiding Verb Form Errors
- Wed. 5/17, Grammar: Sentence Structure and Sentence Types
- Tues. 5/23, Grammar: Parallel Structure
- Wed. 5/24, Grammar: Fragments, Run-ons, and Comma Splices
ESL Lab Reader Library
Check out a reader from the ESL Lab library for enrichment reading!
Here's what to do:
1. View the ESL Lab Library Book List to see the list of available books or come to AD 100 to see the collection.
2. Submit the ESL Lab Library Reader Check Out Form to request your book.
3. Receive a confirmation email that your book is ready.
4. Pick up your book in AD 100!
Questions? Email: email@example.com
ESL Lab Contact
Office Hours and Location
Jefferson Hall (JH) 318
Online & In Person (unless noted)
Fall & Spring
Monday: 12:00PM - 5:00PM
Tuesday: 12:00PM - 7:00PM (5:00PM-7:00PM online only)
Friday: 10:00AM-2:00PM (online only)
Winter & Summer: closed
Phone: (323) 953-4000 ext. 2726