Chemical Spills & Fires
If a chemical spill occurs:
- If toxic chemicals come in contact with your skin, immediately flush the affected area with clear water. Use chemical showers, if available.
- Call the Sheriff’s Department at #3 or ext. 2911 or (323) 953-2911 using your cellphone. Give your name and location of the spill. Do not hang up until dispatcher tells you to do so.
- Notify your supervisor/instructor of the extent and location of the spill, if possible.
- If there is any possible danger, evacuate the area immediately.
If a chemical fire occurs:
- Upon discovering a chemical fire, close windows and doors where the fire is located and immediately sound the building alarm.
- Call the Sheriff’s Department on #3 or ext. 2911 or (323) 953-2911 using your cellphone.
- If the fire is large, very smoky, or rapidly spreading, evacuate the building immediately. While evacuation, warn others that “This Is Not A Drill” and advise them to immediately evacuate the building. The alarm may not sound continuously. If the alarm stops, continue to evacuate. Warn others who may enter the buildings after the alarm stops.
- Walk; do not run, to the nearest exit.
- When fire alarms sound, do not use elevators. An elevator may become inoperative and a trap. Give assistance (if necessary) to disabled persons using the stairs. Use the Evac-U-Trac (Emergency Evacuation Chair) for those individuals who can not use the stairs for safe exiting of the building.
- Evacuate to a distance of at least 500 feet and always attempt to remain Upwind of the hazard. Always stay out of the way of emergency personnel. Do not return to the building until instructed to do so by emergency personnel.
- Notify emergency personnel and/or Building Marshal on the scene if you suspect someone may be trapped inside the building.
Identify the location of the nearest fire alarm.
Identify the location of the nearest fire extinguisher.
Identify the location of the nearest Evac-U-Trac.
The LACC Sheriff's Station
Office Hours and Location
Operates 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
Cesar Chavez Administration Building 111
In an emergency, dial 2911 from any campus phone or call the direct Emergency phone number at (323) 953-2911.
For non-emergencies and general questions, please call (323) 953-4005 or you can email us at