- Spring 2022: May 22, 2022
- Summer 2022: August 7, 2022
- Fall 2022: November 27, 2022
- Winter 2023: January 15, 2023
- Spring 2023: May 21, 2023
- Summer 2023: August 6, 2023
What is a Combination Appeal
A Combination Appeal is for students who are disqualified due to exceeding the 150% unit time-frame of their stated academic goal or major AND also due to not meeting the cumulative minimum GPA of 2.0 and/or the cumulative minimum unit completion percentage of 66.5%
For example, While Cubby is pursuing an Associate's degree that requires 60 units. At the end of the Spring 2020 semester, he has attempted 98 units but has not completed the requirements to graduate. Additionally, Cubby has failed to maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA. Cubby will be disqualified in the next semester of enrollment. He will have a chance to appeal to extend and reinstate his eligibility for financial aid for the remaining classes required to complete his goal at LACC.
How to submit a Combination Appeal (Extension and Reinstatement)
Prior to submitting an appeal, students must develop a new or update their existing educational plan with their LACC Academic Counselor and discuss their academic progress.
- Once the student has an Educational Plan, they need to complete successfully the Online Satisfactory Academic Progress Workshop
- The workshop requires that you read the material and correctly answer four questions (if you do not answer ALL the questions correctly you will have to review the workshop content again).
- After successfully completing the workshop, the system will generate a certificate of completion (you will need it for your appeal).
- You must log in to the Student Portal to initiate the extension appeal:
Click on the Financial Aid and Scholarships menu and select the current academic year if prompted.
Click on the SAP Extension of Appeal from the menu on the left.
Follow the instructions and answer all required questions.
Upload the SAP Workshop Certificate of Completion under Supporting Documentation.
Submit your appeal.
Extension and reinstatement appeals are reviewed by the LACC Appeals Committee. There are two levels of appeals. The result of the first-level appeal will generally be emailed to the student's LACCD email account within 45 calendar days. Students whose first level appeals are denied have a second level appeal within 14 calendar days of the notification. The second-level appeal is reviewed by the Dean or his designee.
What happens after the combination appeal is approved?
When an extension appeal is approved, you will be notified via email. The appeals committee, upon reviewing your educational plan, will approve the classes required for your academic plan. You may find the list of approved (and denied) courses on your Student Portal > Financial Aid & Scholarships > SAP Extension of Appeal > View/Apply SAP Appeal. The approved courses are marked as "Include towards FA Progress Units".
Approved combination appeals are also subject to academic progress conditions (GPA and completion rate) that must be met to carry the approval to the next semester of enrollment. The terms of these conditions will be stated in the approval notification.
The appeals committee will monitor changes in the student's educational plan and/or enrollment to update the contract accordingly to the academic program associated with the extension appeal.
After approval, your awards will be revised accordingly to the approved units. Nonetheless, note that the approval of an appeal does not guarantee financial aid eligibility (including eligibility for loans).
What options do I have if my appeal is denied?
- If the first-level appeal is denied, the student may submit a second-level appeal within fourteen (14) calendar days of the notification. The result of the second-level appeal will generally be emailed to the student's LACCD email account within two (2) weeks.
- An Administrative District Review may be initiated by the student who reasonably believes that the college, state, and/or federal guidelines were applied incorrectly, and therefore, adversely affected the student's financial aid status, rights and privileges. A request for Administrative Review can only be submitted after denial from the first-level and second-level petitions. An Administrative Review is conducted by a district-appointed administrator. Administrative Reviews must be submitted before the end of the specified semester for which the student is requesting reinstatement or extension of financial aid eligibility. You may submit a completed copy of the form to the financial aid office in person or you may email a scanned copy to firstname.lastname@example.org from your student email account (the form is not fillable).
Office Hours and Location
In-Person & Online
Spring Break Hours:
Mondays to Wednesdays: 8:00AM - 4:30PM
Thursdays: 8:00AM - 2:00 PM
Fridays to Sundays : Closed
Student Services Building, 1st Floor
Fax: (323) 953-4029
Have a question about LACC?
Contact the LACC Call Center:
Phone: 1 (888) 930 - LACC
Phone: 1 (888) 930 - 5222