2022-2023 Direct Stafford Loan
Subsidized and unsubsidized loans are federal student loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education at a four-year college or university, community college, or trade, career, or technical school. The U.S. Department of Education offers eligible students at participating schools Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans. (Some people refer to these loans as Stafford Loans or Direct Stafford Loans.
- Complete a 2022-2023 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov.
- LACC must be the student's home school within the Los Angeles Community College District.
- Pursue a financial aid eligible academic program at LACC.
- Satisfy the general student financial aid eligibility requirements
- Have received a 2022-2023 Award Letter or a letter stating you are ineligible for any need-based aid.
- Be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) units applicable to your academic program. Students under an extension appeal contract students must be enrolled in six (6) financial aid approved units.
- Comply with Entrance Loan Counseling requirements.
- Have an active Master Promissory Note.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
Follow these steps to apply for a Federal Stafford Loan
Use this Student Loan Checklist to verify that you have complied with all requirements before you submit the Student Loan data Form to the Financial Aid Office.
- 2022-2023 FAFSA: Complete a 2022-2023 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at the FAFSA website.
- Award Notification: Complete your financial aid file and receive your award notification or an email indicating that your file was reviewed but you are not eligible for need-based aid.
- Direct Loan Entrance Counseling: New borrowers must go to login on studentaid.gov to complete the Entrance Counseling. Once on the site, click “Complete the Financial Aid Process” and then click on “Complete Entrance Counseling” to access the page. This requirement does not apply to repeat borrowers. Follow this link for the Direct Loan Entrance Counseling Guide.
- Master Promissory Note: Borrowers must have an active Master Promissory Note. To confirm status or complete a new Master Promissory Note go to studentaid.gov. Once on the site, click “Complete the Financial Aid Process” and then “Complete Master Promissory Note” to access the page.
- Log in or create an account on your Financial Aid Portal
- Click on the "+-Request" button on the top right corner to create a Loan task
- Student Loan Data Form - LA City College 1 is for a first loan request
- Student Loan Data Form - LA City College 2 and 3 are for additional requests
- Complete the Student Loan Data Form and upload it with a valid government issued ID
Sunday, November 27, 2022 is the last day to submit a loan application for attendance in fall.
Sunday, January 15, 2023 is the last day to submit a loan application for attendance in winter.
Sunday, May 21, 2023 is the last day to submit a loan application for attendance in spring.
Sunday, August 6, 2023 is the last day to submit a loan application for attendance in summer.
Direct Stafford Loan status
It may take up to 45 calendar days to process a student loan. During peak periods the processing time may take longer. The processing calendar DOES NOT begin until you have complied with all the requirements in the checklist.
- Connect with our services on Cranium Café Virtual Lobby
- Connect with our Financial Aid Student Technology Virtual Lab
Have a question about LACC?
Contact the LACC Call Center:
Office Hours and Location
In-Person & Online
Spring Break Hours:
Mondays to Wednesdays: 8:00AM - 4:30PM
Thursdays: 8:00AM - 2:00PM
Fridays to Sundays: Closed
Student Services Building, 1st Floor
Fax: (323) 953-4029