FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE
First Year Experience 2022
Welcome Students! We are so thrilled to have you be a part of FYE! Follow the steps listed below to join FYE:
- Apply to LACC
- Apply to FAFSA or CA Dream Act
- Complete AOC
a. Assessment - ensure your Math/English placements are on file or complete AB 705 form with a counselor
b. Orientation - complete LACC Orientation
c. Counseling - meet with an FYE counselor to create your Student Education Plan
- Apply to FYE and select a Summer Transition Program - You can select either Summer Bridge or Successfully Adapting to City (Please see below for details for each program).
- Register for Classes
Get a jump start and take a college credit course over Summer with you FYE peers! Classes will begin on July 18 and end on August 21st.
You can select one of the following subjects:
- English 101
- Math 227
- Communication Studies 101
- Chicanos Studies 8
*Please note that you will receive a grade for the class and it will be reflected on your transcript.
Successfully Adapting to City
Join us for a Hybrid 4 day workshop from June 27 – June 30 (Monday – Thursday) from 9:00am – 12:30pm where you will learn how to be successful in your college Math and English courses, meet your peers, learn about college resources, note taking, time management, and much more! Once the June 27 - June 30 session is at capacity, additional dates will become available.
*Please note that this program is hybrid meaning that part of the program will be virtual via Zoom and a portion of it will be on campus at LA City College.
Submit your Application for FYE to take advantage of FYE benefits!
What Are the Benefits in FYE?
- First two years of classes are free (enrollment fees) via LA College Promise and AB19/AB2
- Priority Registration
- Guaranteed enrollment in Math, English, and other important classes
- Dedicated faculty members committed to your success
- Math and English Supplemental Instruction (SI) tutors
- Special FYE social and extracurricular activities
- Committed counselors to help you create an educational plan for degree completion, transfer to university, and/or preparing for your career
- Success Coaches to help answer general questions, refer resources, and support you on your college journey
- Free laptops and travel abroad opportunities
- Participate in the Second Year Experience (SYE) after completing your first year
- Be a first-time college student (college classes taken in high school are approved)
- Have completed high school diploma or GED
- Must complete LACC orientation available on your student portal
- Must have Math/English placements on file or completed AB 705 form with a counselor
- Must be enrolled in at least 12 units each semester
- Must meet with an FYE counselor AND a Success Coach once per semester
- Attend tutoring for a total of 6 hours - 3 hours of math tutoring in the Pi Shop and 3 hours of English tutoring in the Writing Support Center.
- Attend a mandatory Summer transition program
- Participate in special FYE events and socials
- Be a California resident or eligible for in-state tuition (see AB 540)
- Complete either the FAFSA or CA Dream Act application (students do not need to qualify for or receive financial aid, but must to submit an application)
Note: Some exceptions to requirements may apply, incluiding for students with a disability who participate in the OSS program. Please meet with an FYE counselor for more details
"great men with great ideals can be separated by hundreds or even thousands of miles and still be in the same place they can be years or even generations apart in age and yet somehow find themselves on the exact same page when these men join forces with the focus of reaching the same goals to obtain the same outcomes they are not two but one instead of simply adding one's common attributes to another's they somehow tend to multiply all attributes of both the other from saint louis or eastern atlanta or a booming metropolis whether they are two or two billion the greatest their numbers could ever become is to truly become one"
i now present to you
here all right welcome to the fye office here in the fye office we have a ton of things for you to access if you look down over here you're gonna see a lot of spaces for you to meet with your success coach as well as meet with your counselors like me to help you figure out your academic journey let's go take a look at some of the other resources that i have
all right you need computer access and you need to do your homework you got a ton of computers here just for you to use whenever you need we're going to make sure that you're going to be successful in all of your classes online or in person but hey don't forget about the success coaches we're here to connect you with the right resources we're here to see you succeed remember that we're just in fye office waiting for you to come in so hey don't hesitate come out come seek the help we're here your goal is to get a degree transfer to a four-year institution or just get a great education lacc is here for you but everything is within your credit we want to see you succeed because we believe you are capable of achieving your goals and succeeding in anything that you take off it is our pride and joy
remember we're here to support you every step of the way because we are LACC
In Person / Online
Mondays to Thursdays: 8:00AM - 4:00PM
Fridays: 8:00AM - 1:30PM
Saturdays to Sundays: Closed
Stay Connected with LACC on Instagram
Instagram is a very popular way to connect with us online. We are constantly updating and posting online so check out these informative and fun Instagrams!