LACP Emergency Grant
The Los Angeles Community College Foundation has established a fund to provide emergency grants to Los Angeles College Promise Students. Grants for 2019-2020 are available beginning Fall 19 to first or second year currently active LA College Promise Student or third year student who was active LACP student in their second year. Emergency grants are to assist students who are at risk of not continuing their education due to unexpected financial distress. This assistance is intended to help students stay in school and meet their educational goals, ultimately securing a better financial future for themselves and their families.
Grant funds will be available on a first-come basis according to the following guidelines:
- An eligible student can receive the grant no more than once per semester
- Grant amount cannot exceed $1000
- The LA College Promise team lead or designee must approve the student’s application
Funds are available to assist students with one-time needs that are caused by external factors not in the student’s’ control. The fund is not intended to supplement financial aid or allow early access to financial aid disbursements and will not be given for enrollment or tuition fees, college debts or expected college-related costs such as books or supplies.
Examples of Emergencies include but are not limited to:
- Rent/mortgage or utility needs due to unexpected expenses (i.e. loss of work hours for student or family member, unexpected medical expense or transportation-related expense for student or family member)
- Unexpected medical expense for student or family member
- Unexpected transportation expense for student or family member (i.e. car repair bill)
- Sudden loss of childcare or sudden increase in childcare expenses
- Documented theft of books and/or other essential academic supplies or tools
- Imminent eviction or cessation of utilities
- Expenses due to unexpected move, loss of housing, or catastrophic property damage
- Once determined that a student may be eligible for an emergency grant, program staff should provide the link and ask the student to complete the application using the NextGen platform. Students will be asked to identify an amount and provide a description of the need and how the money will be used
- LACP Team Lead (or designee) will review the application within 1 business day and either approve or deny
- Prior to approval, please check with financial aid to ensure that grant amount won’t impact a student’s existing award (if any).
- Prior to approval, please check to see if the student owes fees. If the student owes enrollment fees, check with Joanna before proceeding.
- If the student indicates that they haven’t selected a refund preference or created a BankMobile Disbursements Profile, provide instructions on how to set one up
- LACCD Foundation will review and approve every Thursday and funds will be distributed to the student’s selected refund preference with BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, Inc. the following Monday or Tuesday
- Students provide a thank you letter/impact statement via NextGen within 1 month of receiving funds
In order for you to be considered for this emergency grant, you must complete the following before submitting your application:
- Meet with your Success Coach and communicate your needs
- Meet with a Counselor to develop an academic plan (CSEP)
- Develop a plan of action that you can input on your application
Once you have completed the steps above, visit your LACC Student Portal in order to access the scholarship application.
In Person / Online
Mondays to Thursdays: 8:00AM - 4:00PM
Fridays: 8:00AM - 1:30PM
Saturdays to Sundays: Closed