BREAK IT TO MAKE IT
Program Partners' Roles
LOS ANGELES CITY COLLEGE
Los Angeles City College empowers students from the diverse communities it serves to achieve their educational and career goals by providing learner-centered pathways to success through transfer, career and technical education, and foundational skills programs.
Break It To Make It program participants enrolled at LACC will receive assistance and resources including:
- Educational Counseling
Academic advisement and assistance in course selection, development of a Student Educational Plan, career planning, referral to appropriate student services, and Personal Development Classes
- Financial Aid
Receive information and assistance with application for the FAFSA, BOG Fee Waiver, and other financial assistance for tuition, fees, and other associated costs.
- Office of Special Services (OSS)
A variety of support services are available to eligible students with disabilities to instruct and assist them towards completing their academic goals. OSS professionals authorize disability-related accommodations and academic adjustments for LACC enrolled students with disabilities who completed the OSS verification and intake process.
- Peer to Peer Support
Meet with other students for support and collaboration for success as students.
- Books and Supplies
Eligible students may fill out an application to receive books and supplies each semester
- Health and Wellness Center
Basic primary and non-emergency care, health care counseling, emotional and behavioral counseling, family planning, TB skin test, and referrals.
- Extended Opportunity Programs & Services (EOP&S)
EOP&S provides supportive services including intensive academic, career, and personal counseling, individualize tutoring, priority registration, transfer assistance, educational workshops, and book vouchers.
Telephone: (323) 953-4000 ext. 2255
THE LOS ANGELES MISSION
The Los Angeles Mission exists to provide help, hope and opportunity to men, women and children in need.
The LA Mission provides a 6 month re-entry program referred to as Fast Track. The goal of the program is to break the cycle of recidivism and provide pathways to success and self-sufficiency for currently and formerly incarcerated individuals by using a holistic approach for those that are willing to be part of a diverse Christ-centered learning environment of the Los Angeles Mission and the Break It To Make It program.
The Los Angeles Mission’s Relational Rehabilitation Programs offer a 6 & 12 month spiritual growth program designed to facilitate character development and freedom from addiction(s). The programs:
- Are open to anyone who acknowledges their addiction(s) and recognizes that they must have help in order to be free of them.
- Require students to pursue all appropriate learning opportunities.
- Are all free of charge and our programs are court ordered.
- Offer housing, food, clothing, mental and legal assistance
- Offer educational component in Discipleship, academic and life skill courses
- Assign students to job training assignments which provide opportunities for training. (Enrollment is not employment)
- Offer curricula in English and Spanish
- Teach about resources available for independent living, using resources available and how to secure stable housing
- Offer Job/Career development, focusing on job interview skills, job search, resume writing and becoming employed
- Community support system
- Extends the opportunity for an additional 6 month residential transitional program
All participants will receive an induction orientation and will be assessed for appropriate courses
All of the services offered at the Los Angeles Mission are completely free of charge. No person is denied services based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation or physical or mental disability.
Telephone: (213) 629-1227 ext. 309
THE STRINDBERG LABORATORY
The Strindberg Laboratory (TSL), a non-profit 501 (c) 3 tax deductible organization, is focused on bringing hope to segments of society affected by the increasing gap between rich and poor. TSL is one of the only theater companies in Los Angeles County whose members consist entirely of people whom are formerly incarcerated and provide theater workshops both inside Los Angeles County Jails and California State Prisons.
Through Break It To Make It, TSL is able to offer participants inside and outside of corrections the following services and support:
- 2 transferable college credits by offering a Theater 262 class for participants of our theater workshops through Los Angeles City College
- Referral for our students to take part in Los Angeles City College support at the Los Angeles Mission and at the campus itself
- Referral for our students to Los Angeles Mission for housing, rehabilitation programs, basic need services and higher education opportunities
- Continuing the arts education and relationship with our students who have left corrections by having a drama class at Los Angeles Mission
- Participating in the Freedom Festival event at Los Angeles City College with our partners to bring a greater awareness to reentry programming and providing a platform for other reentry services to be seen and heard
Telephone: (213) 265-6313
Office Hours and Location
Mondays to Thursdays: 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Fridays: 8:0AM - 2:00PM
Saturdays to Sundays: Closed
Student Services Building (SSB), Second Floor
Phone: (323) 953-4000 ext. 2255