From Farmland to Normal School
One of nine college campuses of the Los Angeles Community College Distict, what is now Los Angeles City College was originally a farm outside of Los Angeles. When the Pacific Electric Interurban Railroad connected downtown Los Angeles and Hollywood in 1909, the area began to develop rapidly. In 1914, the Los Angeles Board of Education moved the California State Normal School, a school to train teachers, from downtown Los Angeles to Vermont Avenue in Hollywood.
The University of California, Southern Branch
In 1917, UC Regent Edward A. Dickson and Ernest Carroll Moore, Director of the Normal School, began working together to lobby the State for the second University of California campus. On May 23, 1919, their efforts were rewarded when Governor William D. Stephens signed Assembly Bill 626 into law, which turned the school facilities into the Southern Branch of the University of California and added its general undergraduate program, the College of Letters and Science. The Southern Branch campus opened on September 15 of that year, offering two-year undergraduate programs to 250 Letters and Science students and 1,250 students in the Teachers College, under Moore's continued direction.