Welcome to the Child Development program. Students wishing to prepare for employment in early childhood programs or other related fields in early care and education and those currently employed may select several alternative patterns of study. The curriculum prepares students to teach or administer programs for young children, including:
We offer a variety of certificate and degree programs
- Private early childhood programs
- Public programs such as school district children’s centers and Head Start or State Preschool programs
- Infant programs
- School-age before and after-school programs
Courses allow students to prepare for increasingly higher levels of employment and certification. It is possible to prepare for the educational requirements of the State Department of Social Services, the California Child Development Permit, the Associate of Arts Degrees in Child Development or the Associates of Science for Transfer in Early Childhood Education.
- Students entering the Child Development Certificate Program must take the English Placement Assessment.
- Check the class schedule for English 101 advisories and pre-requisite requirements.
- Successful completion of English 101 or higher, or appropriate placement on the College assessment is required for most certificates.
- All students must receive a grade of C or better to meet course requirements.
- Many levels of State Teacher Certification require early childhood experience.
- Employment in early childhood education requires state and federal fingerprint clearance.